Georgetta's Vanity

I am now able to call my Great-Grandma Georgetta's beautiful 1934 hardwood, three-mirrored vanity my own. I recently bought my first house and instead of buying new furniture pieces, I decided I want to try and refurbish antique heirlooms whenever I have the opportunity to do so! My house was built in the 30's and has original hardwood floors, doors, the coolest door knobs and built in cabinetry! I think this vanity will look perfect with all the other old details!  

This vanity has been in my family for three generations and its in impeccable shape. The mirrors are original, it even has the original wooden caster wheels!  It was beautiful to start with, but I knew I could dress it up. I decided to refinish the vanity with subtle, yet impactful detail. The vanity has the most gorgeous wood grain that varies throughout the piece. The drawers all have different patterns and I really didn't want to hide that by painting it. I decided to stain the piece instead, and to add more drama, I did a faux antique copper finish.

I purchased all of my materials at Hobby Lobby and each item was under $10. 

  • 1  can Rust-Oleum Wood Stain in the color "kona"
  • I jar Precious Metals Premium Leafing Finish in the color "bronze"
  • turquoise/green paint *see note below*
  • Lint-Free rags (I used 3)

(For the final touches of "aged copper" I used a metallic ink that I usually paint on canvas with because I wasn't finding exactly what I wanted in the store that would work on wood. I picked up a copper patina kit but its supposed to be used on metal surfaces and I didn't want to risk ruining anything.)

BEFORE (kind of a poor before photo but I just couldn't wait to get started!)

AFTER

  1. I didn't sand the vanity at all; there wasn't any sort of sealant or finish on it that I thought would prevent the stain from adhering. I just gave it a good wipe down to make sure it was free of dust and anything else that would get caught in the stain. I used a soft, lint-free rag, and small amounts of stain and wiped it over the entire surface. The stain I purchased said one coat should do, and it would be dry in an hour.
  2. I started the antiquing process about 45 minutes after the stain was applied. I didn't wait until the stain was completely dry, it was still kind of tacky in order to allow the other paints to blend together giving it a more seamless look. 
  3. For the antiquing, I used the same technique as I did with the stain, applying the paint to a rag, little bits at a time, and then rubbing it into the areas I thought would look best. I stuck to the edges, corners, legs, seams, etc... This process is a bit nerve wracking at first, I felt unsure of where to apply the faux antique, but once I got started it was a breeze! 

I waited about 30 minutes for the bronze metallic to dry and then started the same process with the turquoise ink going right over the bronze. I may decide to add more green in the future but for now I love the subtleness of it! Im so happy that I chose metallic finishes, they shimmer and change tones and intensity in the light. 

I purchased new hardware for the vanity at hobby lobby as well. There are 6 drawers total, the top two are more unique to the bottom four, so I chose to use different knobs for those. So pretty! 

Jessica Pence